Tuesday 5 July 2011

Handira Wedding Blankets And Beni Ouarain Carpets

Well into July and with the blazing sun you’d think that the last thing on my mind would be woollen blankets and carpets, but you’re oh so wrong! Despite the heat I continue to shimmy the Marrakech souk in my endless search for the most beautiful blankets in the world and I am pretty often rewarded for my efforts with gorgeous Handira’s that sometimes sing to me from afar. If you are looking to buy a Handira please see my collection of stunning blankets for wholesale prices here.

My great appreciation for Berber art by women is slowly turning into a passionate research only limited by the time I have available whilst completing our guesthouse Dar Zohra. In search of the typical better known white Handira of the Middle Atlas I came across the exquisite Beni Ouarain Handira’s with their complex patterns and loose loops of wool on the inside of the Handira.



Better known are the Beni Ouarain carpets which have become objects of desire in households worldwide. The Beni Ouarain are a confederation of several nomadic Berber tribes of the Middle Atlas with nomadic background. Their pile weaving tradition dates back as far as a thousand years and originally served as protection against the cold during the winter. Click here for my Beni Ouarain collection for wholesale prices.



In the near future I’ll be posting more about the region and tribes of the Beni Ouarain. I’ll be exploring the Middle Atlas researching the slowly vanishing traditions of the Berber women and Inshallah purchasing some fine carpets and Handira’s from the source!

No comments:

Post a Comment